Household toxins you should be aware of




decided on this project because I know someone who had gotten a hold of some

liquid soap when she was very little and swallowed some.  For days afterward she was sick and it

worried a lot of people who knew her. 

If her parents had known about the effects of liquid soap, what kind of

harm it could cause, and how to store it away from her properly, the accident

and agony probably would have been avoided.


plan is to educate and inform people by passing out information on preventive

measures and safely storing toxins with my neighborhoods local newspaper.

Household toxins

you should be aware of.

This came to us in an e-mail. We haven’t verified any of this information.

Our purpose is to call your attention to this information. If you use any of

the following and are concerned, you may verify this information next time you

go to the store. Do a search on the internet. You may find some interesting





air fresheners interfere with your ability to smell by coating your nasal

passages with an oil film, or by releasing a nerve deadening agent. Known toxic

chemicals found in an air freshener: Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known

carcinogen. Phenol: When phenol touches your skin it can cause it to swell,

burn, peel, and break out in hives. Can cause cold sweats,

convulsions,circulatory collapse, coma and even death!!


It is a very volatile chemical, it is very damaging to your eyes, respiratory

tract and skin.


It is a strong corrosive. It will irritate or burn the skin, eyes and

respiratory tract. It may cause pulmonary edema or vomiting and coma if

ingested. WARNING: never mix bleach with ammonia it may cause fumes which can


CARPET AND UPHOLSTERY SHAMPOO: Most formulas are designed to over power the stain itself,

they accomplish the task but not without using highly toxic substances. Some

include: Perchlorethylene: Known carcinogen damages liver, kidney and nervous

system damage. Ammonium Hydroxide: Corrosive, extremely irritable to eyes, skin

and respiratory passages.

DISHWASHER DETERGENTS: Most products contain chlorine in a dry form that is highly

concentrated. # 1 cause of child poisonings, according to poison control



Most drain cleaners contain lye, hydrochloric acid or trichloroethane. Lye:

Caustic, burns skin and eyes, if ingested will damage esophagus and stomach.

Hydrochloric acid: Corrosive, eye and skin irritant, damages kidneys, liver and

digestive tract. Trichloroethane: Eye and skin irritant, nervous system

depressant; damages liver and kidneys.


Petroleum Distillates: Highly flammable, can cause skin and lung cancer. Phenol:

(see Air fresheners, Phenol.) Nitrobenzene: Easily absorbed through the skin,

extremely toxic.

MOLD AND MILDEW CLEANERS: Chemicals contained are: Sodium hypochlorite: Corrosive,

irritates or burns skin and eyes, causes fluid in the lungs which can lead to

coma or death. Formaldehyde: Highly toxic, known carcinogen. Irritant to eyes,

nose, throat, and skin. May cause nausea, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness,

memory loss and shortness of breath.


Hydroxide (Lye): Caustic, strong irritant, burns to both skin and eyes.

Inhibits reflexes, will cause severe tissue damage if swallowed.

ANTIBACTERIAL CLEANERS: may contain: Triclosan: Absorption through the skin can be

tied to liver damage.

LAUNDRY ROOM PRODUCTS: Sodium or calcium hypocrite: Highly corrosive, irritates or

burns skin, eyes or respiratory tract. Linear alkylate sulfonate: Absorbed

through the skin. Known liver damaging agent. Sodium Tripolyphosphate:

Irritates skin and mucous membranes, causes vomiting. Easily absorbed through

the skin from clothes.

TOILET BOWL CLEANERS: Hydrochloric acid: Highly corrosive, irritant to both skin and

eyes. Damages kidneys and liver. Hypochlorite Bleach: Corrosive, irritates

or burns eyes, skin and respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema, vomiting

or coma if ingested. Contact with other chemicals may cause chlorine fumes

which may be fatal.




Most pesticides have ingredients that affect the nervous system of insects.

Imagine what these extremely poisonous chemicals do to your body or your

baby’s. Dimpylate: Better known as Diazinon, extremely toxic. Impairs the

central nervous system. Chlorinate Hydrocarbons: Suspected carcinogen and

mutantagen. Accumulates in food and in fatty tissue. Will attack the nervous

system. Organophosphates: Toxic and poisonous. If you can smell it, your lungs

are absorbing it.


put toxins on “man’s (or woman’s) best friend.” Carbaryl: Very toxic,

causes skin, respiratory and cardiovascular system damage. Chlordane:

Accumulates in the food chain, may damage eyes, lungs, liver, kidney and skin.

Dichlorophene: Skin irritation: May damage liver, kidney, spleen and central

nervous system.


Especially vulnerable are children. Lindane: Inhalation, ingestion, or

ABSORPTION through the SKIN causes vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and

circulatory collapse. May cause liver damage, stillbirths, birth defects and


Lice RX is a non-toxic alternative to pesticide based Head Lice

Products. Follow the links below.


Petroleum Distillates: Associated with skin and lung cancer, irritant to skin,

eyes, nose and lungs. Entry into the lungs may cause fatal pulmonary edema,

most marked Danger, Harmful or Fatal.






          Many people don’t realize what kind of harmful

chemicals and toxins they use every day in their very own homes.  Some chemicals can be particularly dangerous

or harmful.  An example is a chemical

used in air fresheners called Phenol. It

can cause cold sweats, convulsions, circulatory collapse, coma and even death!!

            Household chemicals can cause

serious damage to people, animals, and the environment if they are not handled

or disposed of properly.  Most chemicals

and cleaners used around the house are safe and can be thrown away easily

without any harm.  Others though can be

very dangerous and harmful when used the wrong way.  The best way to dispose of any harmful chemicals is to use up as

much of them as you possibly can.  Some of the most dangerous chemicals used

around your house are Cleaning Agents

(like dish soap), Aerosols, Gasoline, Paints (paint products), Antifreeze, Car Batteries,

Pesticides, and De-Greasers.  In little

amounts, these materials may not cause any harm but in larger doses they can be

very volatile and toxic.  The following

are guidelines to follow for safe storage and handling of chemicals:

Safe Storage and



Don’t flush chemicals down a

sewer drain


Keep away from

children and animals.


Do not remove

labels from the bottles or packages: they contain important information.


Store in cool dry places,

away from pilot lights, stoves or water heaters.


Make sure all containers

have secure lids/caps.


Store products in a place

where they won’t fall over.


Store any corrosive or

flammable products on seperate shelves.


Always return product to its

proper place or where you found it.


Don’t burn products, it may

release toxic fumes into the air.

Staying Safe When Handling



Do not wear contact lenses

when handling solvents.


Always read and follow

directions on the label.


Always wear goggles if the

product can harm the eyes.


Wear gloves and protective

clothing if the product is harmful to the skin.


Stop using the product if

you feel dizzy, get a stomach ache, or a headache.


Make sure there is adequate

ventilation when using the product indoors.


Do not smoke when using

flammable products.


Do not use flammable

products near a fire or any open flame.


Use the least toxic chemical

product you can find for your job.     


DO NOT mix products

together, it can cause toxic fumes or even an explosion.


Buy only what

you need and use up as much of it as you can.                   

Brian’s Completion of the project

For my project, passed out

information on the hazards and dangers of household chemicals. I passed out

copies of the information to my troop. I presented the information by talking

to them about it during a troop meeting.

I also printed out copies

of the information to be passed out with a monthly neighborhood newspaper. The

information told how to dispose of and store hazardous chemicals found in the

house. It also told how to use particular chemicals properly and how to keep

them away from pets and animals